59 Staddiscombe Road,
Tel: 01752 932320
Railway Hotel, High Street, Beckenham about 1905
Arriving at Beckenham Junction station when it opened in 1857, travellers found themselves in open country. The only buildings to be seen were the ancient St George's church with its old fashioned steeple, a short terrace of houses called Gloucester Terrace where the car park is today and the newly built Railway Hotel.
The village of Beckenham was out of sight down the hill. Between the 1861 and 1871 censuses the population increased from 2,124 to 6,090 as buyers fled London for the Cator Estate with its large Victorian houses supported by a new shopping area based on Albemarle Rd and serviced by tradesmen from the Birbeck Estate and the artisans from Chancery Lane.