59 Staddiscombe Road,
Tel: 01752 932320
The railway over the river Ravensbourne between Catford Bridge and Lower Sydenham.
The River River Ravensbourne on its way from Bromley meets the River Pool from Lower Sydenham, just before Catford bridge.
Before 1857, when Beckenham's first line opened, residents could take William Ovenden's horse bus from the Three Tuns to Sydenham station but the Mid Kent Railway was planning an extension from Lewisham to New Beckenham promoted by John Cator of the Cator Estate and Sir John Lubbock of High Elms.
Following the paths of the Ravensbourne and Pool rivers to New Beckenham, the line then curved eastwards to the station that was to become Beckenham Junction.
Sir John Lubbock took his open carriage and pair with a postillion to the station as part of his daily journey to the City of London.