59 Staddiscombe Road,
Tel: 01752 932320
The flying bombs fell in July 1944. The first destroyed the shops near the junction of Albemarle Rd and Beckenham High St on 2nd July. The second was worse, falling on 27th July on numbers 7&8 Church Rd. The parish church of St George's barely 100 yds away took the brunt of the blast. Up to a third of the gravestones on the North side of the church were shattered but not those of the Cators. They remain there today as two large table tombs standing among the yew trees. They bear row upon row of family names, 24 in all, with relationships, ages and dates of death. One is to John and the other to his brother Joseph Cator.