59 Staddiscombe Road,
Tel: 01752 932320
The Cator family from Ross on Wye, Herefordshire founded the Cator estates of Blackheath and Beckenham, Cator Rd, Cator Lane, Cator Park and Cator Park School to perpetuate the family name. The building of Cator Park School (now Harris, Bromley) was originally used as a hospital in WWI and then from 1919 by Beckenham County School for Girls. Cator was one of the four Houses of the Beckenham and Penge Grammar School for Boys and the library window contained a stained glass panel of the Cator shield. (Photograph by courtesy of the Beckenham Photographic Society) The present building is used as an Adult Education Centre (Kentwood) and as Royston Primary School. Worsley Bridge Junior School adopted the name Cator for one of its houses.
Cator Rd is one of six Conservation Areas dated 1983 in Beckenham designed to stop developers demolishing its mature houses to build flats. One of the local wards has been renamed Cator. There are Cator Rds elsewhere including one at Carshalton where William Cator was the rector.